CITB SMSTS Course
Location: Southend, Essex
This CITB SMSTS course is designed to enable managers to help site managers, agents and supervisors to:
- Manage health and safety on-site in accordance with current legal provisions and within the context of their management or supervisory role
- Develop an understanding of responsibilities and accountability for site health, safety and welfare
- Recognise that a safe site is efficient, economical and productive
This CITB Site Management Safety Training Scheme course is for site managers, agents and persons who are, or about to be responsible for planning, organising, monitoring, controlling and administering groups of staff and workplace.
- To be able to read, write and understand English to a good level. Please contact us if you have any concerns in this area.
- If you need to re-sit the test, you must do this within 90 days of the original course date at an additional charge.
You will need to provide a Valid ID on the first day of the course, such as a copy of your passport or driving licence.
CITB SMSTS Course Content
Introduction to health and safety law, duties, responsibilities, enforcement and sanctions
- Overviews/explanations of relevant construction activity legislation
- Accident costs, causes, investigation, prevention and reporting requirements
- Risk assessments and principles of prevention
- Safety management systems, policies, plans, performance and measuring
- Management of contractors
- Development of safe systems of work and permit systems
- Effective communicating
- Behavioural science including awareness of human error
- Motivating safety behaviour
- Recognition of an organisation’s duties and responsibilities
- Recognition of responsibilities of managers, supervisors and operatives
- Production of site activity instructions (safe systems of work)
- Planning for health and safety within the context of a project
By the end of the SMSTS course delegates will be able to:
- Implement all health, safety, welfare and environmental legislation which affects them during their daily work
- Implement new guidance and industry best practice
- State their duties and responsibilities with regards to health, safety, welfare and the environment
The CITB SMSTS course has a high proportion of discussions, best practice sharing, syndicate exercises and case studies which will be supplemented with video and classroom-based tutorials.
A certain amount of the SMSTS course content will require delegates to compile and present their understanding of how to comply with current legislation for assessment.
Delegates will be continuously assessed during the SMSTS course needing to achieve a 70% grade from the tutor for tasks undertaken during the course. The delegates must also successfully complete the final examination, which is split between multiple-choice and written answers (80% pass grade).
Issue of the most highly regarded Construction Site Managers Safety Certificate (valid 5 years) will be awarded to those persons who successfully complete the SMSTS course including the compulsory final examination (80% pass grade).
Delegates should inform their trainer if they have any serious health issues, physical problems, special considerations or are taking any medication which may create difficulties in undertaking elements of the training course.
For a CITB SMSTS course held at your own location, please ensure that the classroom you make available has a 240v power supply and is a suitable size for the number of delegates attending. Please ensure that the practical area has been risk assessed, is free from harm and is suitable for training.