CITB SMSTS Refresher Course
Location: Southend, Essex
This CITB SMSTS Refresher course aims to:
- Improve awareness of recent developments in construction, legislation and health, safety, welfare and environmental issues.
- Identify measures that will assist the practical implementation of responsibilities established by new legislation and new working practices.
The CITB SMSTS Refresher course is for any delegate who has attended the five-day Site Management Safety Training Scheme course, and whose SMSTS card/certificate is due to expire (5 years).
- To be able to read, write and understand English to a good level. Please contact us if you have any concerns in this area.
- If you need to re-sit the test, you must do this within 90 days of the original course date at an additional charge.
- You will need to provide a Valid ID on the first day of the course, such as a copy of your passport or driving licence.
CITB SMSTS Refresher Course Content
The SMSTS Refresher course content includes:
- Legislation, ACoP updates with discussions on impact and practical aspects of compliance.
- Overview of proposed/impending legislation.
- Accident statistics, costs, causes, management responsibilities/methods in prevention.
- HSE’s current focus on construction activities.
- Safety Management systems, policies, plans and performance measuring.
- Management of contractors.
- Communication and consultation aspects, effective use of toolbox talks and site inductions.
- Behavioural science including awareness of human error, stress and prevention.
- Syndicate exercises.
- Prevention of accidents.
- Motivating safety behaviour.
- Planning for health and safety in relation to fire safety, working at height, manual handling, and movement of people within the context of a project.
By the end of the CITB SMSTS Refresher course of training delegates will be:
- Aware of and able to implement all updated health, safety, welfare and environmental legislation which affects them in their role as a manager.
- Aware of and able to implement new guidance and industry best practice.
- More aware of their duties and responsibilities with regards to health, safety, welfare and the environment.
The SMSTS Refresher course has a high proportion of discussions, best practice sharing, syndicate exercises and case studies, supplemented with video and classroom-based tutorials.
Delegates will be continuously assessed during the CITB SMSTS Refresher course needing to achieve a 70% grade from the tutor for tasks undertaken during the course. The delegates must also successfully complete the final examination, which is split between multiple-choice and written answers (80% pass grade).
The SMSTS Refresher course is a renewal of the nationally recognised Construction Site Managers Safety certificate (valid 5 years) and will be awarded to those persons who successfully complete the course including the compulsory final examination (80% pass grade)
Delegates should inform their trainer if they have any serious health issues, physical problems, special considerations or are taking any medication, which may create difficulties in undertaking elements of this training course.
For CITB SMSTS Refresher training held at your own location, please ensure that the classroom you make available has a 240v power supply and is a suitable size for the number of delegates attending. Please ensure that the practical area has been risk assessed, is free from harm and is suitable for training.